Monday, November 7, 2011

Game Day Sloppy Joes

Football + Sloppy Joes = Love.  Ahh, yes, that's what fall brings.  My Florida Gators aren't winning the BCS this year, but at least they still provide 3.5 hours every Saturday to get some great grub in.

My mom, a native Louisianan, provided me with her classic Sloppy Joe recipe, one that I crave each football season.  She serves it on a bun with Fritos and French dip and maybe a side of watermelon, all Southern style, and deeeeeelicious.  Her recipe is a simple, go-to winner:


(Makes 4-6 helpings of Sloppy Joe)

Brown 1 lb ground beef, green pepper, yellow onion in a skillet
Add: yellow mustard squirt, 1/4  c. of water, sweet BBQ sauce to taste, salt, pepper
Heat 10 minutes or so


Because I like to try new mixes, I also made a Sassy Pants version that included a little chopped red pepper and green onion, maple syrup, Cinnamon, cumin, tomato sauce (instead of BBQ sauce), and garlic powder.  A spicier/sweeter version for a different game day.  I served it with cornbread and a salad - my mom would DEFINITELY say, "Less fun without the Fritos."  She's probably right.

What's your favorite Joe recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment